Loose Cows Spark a Lasting Romance
"So, how did you two meet each other?" That's a question every couple hears more than just a few times. And one that we asked of a local couple who lived on this farm back in the 1950s . . .
Back in the early fifties, Glenwood Farm was owned by Julia MacDonald and her sister Lydia Biggs. A young man named George Casler established a dairy operation, worked the farm and lived in the north side of the farmhouse. Springtime in 1954 saw not only the trees and flowers escaping from winter's grip, but also a couple of bovine strays which somehow wandered their way across Sheldrake Creek. Al Prouty cornered the loose cows and his step-daughter Pat called the farm to get someone to take them home.
Seems love was in the air that day. With George's help, the cows found their way back home, and Pat met George in the process. They eventually fell in love, got married in 1955, and moved into the south side of the farmhouse here at Sheldrake Point. Their first two sons were born while they lived here. Pat and George worked the farm until 1958 when they moved to Ithaca where they still live today.
The Caslers introduced themselves to us on our Opening Day in July 1998 when they stopped by to see what had transpired on their beloved dairy farm. Since then, they have been two of our favorite customers, even hosting a dinner here for the local chapter of the American Wine Society. For George's 70th birthday, he and Pat returned with some relatives including all three of their sons, who had a hard time recollecting details from their very early childhood.
The cows may be long gone, but with serene moon-rises over Cayuga Lake and quiet music drifting through the gardens, we know that romance is still in the air here at Sheldrake Point.